here it is, a case of me. it's up to you to drink it. all at once or little by little.

2004/11/29

lists

Generally, I enjoy making lists - shopping lists, invitation lists, lists of to do's, favourite artists, books I still want ro read, and movies I should see before they disappear into the local community centre benefit circuit
But then around this time of the year making a list gets an awful ring to it. So I decided to make a list of lists I hate to make:
1. list of people I have to buy presents for by December 24th
2. list of things to do at work before the Christmas holidays begin
3. list of people I should send a holiday card
4. list of people I have to ring to wish them a happy New Year
5. list of groceries I have to buy before the shops are closed most of the time for two weeks
6. list of people to invite to my New Year's party
7. list of groceries to buy for my New Year's party
8. list of 'wanted presents', which is probably, by far, the worst
- hi honey
* hi mum, how are you?
- ok, I'm just calling you to ask what you want for Christmas
* anything's fine, mum, just surprise me, you know what I like
- honey, I don't have time to make up something for everyone of you, I really was expecting your list by now
* but, mum, you don't need a list, really, anything's...
- so, you'll be sending me your list this weekend, right?
I really don't see the point, what could probably be worse than spending hours having to think about what you want most and then another four things you might be happy with too. First of all, what I want most changes by the day and I always forget to put down the best stuff - which of course comes to my mind about two days before Christmas. What' even worse: you can't just put down the two things you want most and leave it at that, because this leaves the buyer with a lack of choice and also (or so my mum argues) the present will no longer be a surprise. Unfortunately the buyer lacking the capacity to think of a good present for you himself, almost always lacks the capacity to pick the best present from a list as well. So what it comes down to is that, instead of being surprised with a present which is probably not perfect, you have the certainty of getting a not so perfect present you have made up yourself. BAN ALL LISTS OF WANTED PRESENTS NOW! BAN THE LIST FOR PARTNERS FIRST (if you can't even think of something he/she might like, you're not a good partner - or your partner is just waaaaaaay too difficult)
Anyway, another really bad one is the
9. list of good intentions for the new year
If I still smoked this would be really easy. But then again I could ostentatively smoke at the family's Christmas Party, tell them 'yes, I know it's bad, but I'm quitting again at New Year' and try to fool them into that good intention. Unfortunately this will only get me through two or three rounds of 'good intentions'. Any hints for good addictions to get rid of in three years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home